Top Turkey Shawarma Recipe
Serves up to 8
Thanks to the overnight marinade and the direct grilling of the meat over a barbecue – this spicy turkey shawarma recipe could easily be confused for the real deal.
For the authentic taste of street shawarma from Israel or Palestine, this shawarma recipe is hard to beat. If you want the taste but less heat, remove the white pepper and replace the hot paprika / cayenne with smoked or mild paprika – and replace the hot tomato sauce with yogurt, cucumber and mint.
Turkey’s not just for Thanksgiving!
Turkey Shawarma Ingredients
2 1/2 lbs 1/4-inch-thick turkey cutlets
½ cup lemon juice
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tsp coarse salt
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp hot paprika or cayenne pepper
8 tbsp (approx) olive oil
2 tsp sumac
2 onions, sliced
Tomato, rough cut
Turkey Shawarma Instructions
1. Mix the turmeric, salt, coriander, cumin, black pepper, white pepper and paprika, lemon juice and oil in a large bowl
2. Add the turkey, mixing until the marinade has fully coated the meat
3. Cover and chill the mixture to marinade overnight or 24hrs if possible.
4. The next day, slice the onions into rings sprinkle with the sumac and cover.
5. Prepare the barbecue, oil grill and heat up
6. Prepare the tomato sauce and the tahini sauce (you can use shop bought, but fresh is best)
7. Put the turkey cutlets on the hot barbecue and grill approx 3 minutes each side, then keep warm.
8. Chop the tomatoes and shred the lettuce
9. Heat up bread of choice
10. Slice turkey meat and fill bread of choice
11. Add sliced onion, lettuce, tomato, tomato sauce and tahini sauce
12. Play choice of Middle Eastern music
13. Roll wrap or pitta in some greaseproof paper.
Like this recipe? Try HERE for hundreds more!