This shawarma recipe is as authentic as you can get without actually owning a shawarma grill.
It uses some ingredients that can be quite hard to come by unless you live in a large city - but then thatís what the internet is for - so much can be bought or sourced on-line.
(see essentials for links to suppliers)
The flavour comes from the marinade - 24 hours is the minimum I would marinade the meat for, but overnight will do...
Enjoyed my recipes or have a good one of your own?
Email me and I'll use the really nice flattering comments in future site updates!
Serves 4 with large meat-filled portions
1lb or 450g lamb meat (leg is ideal), beef or chicken cut into thin strips
4 x arab flatbreads (khoubz araby), pitta breads or large flour tortillas
juice from 1 lemon
2 x tablespoons of white wine vinegar
1 x teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 x teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 x teaspoon of ground allspice
1 x teaspoon of good quality salt
1 x teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of ground cardammon
3 x finely ground pieces of mastic
1 x onion, peeled and grated
3 x tablespoons of olive oil
5 x tablespoons of finely chopped parsley
1 x red onion, peeled and sliced very finely
3 x tomatoes roughly diced
1/2 cucumber finely diced
1 x cos or small iceberg lettuce chopped or shredded
1 x green pepper (capiscum) finely sliced
1 x teaspoon of sumac
1 x tablespoon of finely chopped fresh mint
1 x tablespoon of olive oil
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl, then add the meat and mix again.
2. Marinade the meat in a fridge for at least 24 hours stirring the mix occasionally.
3. The next day take the meat mix from the fridge an hour before cooking, place in a sieve and drain the excess fluids.
4. Cover the meat and leave in a cool place out of direct sunlight.
5. Mix the salad in a bowl and mix in 1 x tablespoon of olive oil, adding the sumac.
6. Place the meat under a hot grill / broiler or on top of a hot barbeque for a few minutes each side, until cooked.
7. Warm the flat bread or pitta and place the cooked lamb on or in the bread.
8. Sprinkle the salad over the meat.
9. Sprinkle the tahini over the salad.
10. Wrap in greaseproof paper and enjoy!