Beef shawarma recipe: steak bake
Recipe: Jennifer “JJ” Jones
A beef shawarma recipe that’s baked in the oven makes an interesting departure from the usual method of frying
but the addition of minced fat that dissolves and coats the meat while it’s cooking brings this beef shawarma recipe very close to the rich flavor you get from a stacked shawarama meat on a gyro grill.
Sirloin steak can be quite expensive, so a cheaper beef cut such as frying steak is just as good – but can be a bit more of a mouthful!
Beef Shawarma Ingredients:
2 lb sirloin steak or frying steak, cut into thin strips
1/4 tsp ground mastic (optional)
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice or 7 spice
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil, ghee or smen
4 tbl finely minced fat (optional but excellent)
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
flatbreads, pitta or flour tortilla
tomatoes, finely sliced onion, shredded lettuce,
mint leaves, tahini sauce
Beef shawarma instructions
1. Combine all ingredients (except the minced fat), mix well, cover with cling wrap and marinate overnight.
2. Heat oven to 400 F.
3. Pour the marinaded meat into a oven dish / cooking tray
4. Add diced fat over the meat
5. Bake for 30 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated and the meat has browned.
6. Serve meat onto breads, adding garnishes and sauce as required.
7. Roll, eat and enjoy!
Like this recipe? Try HERE for hundreds more!